Robotify

The significance of learning about STEM young.

The significance of learning about STEM young.

Tech Week is Ireland’s only week dedicated to tech education and runs from April 23rd to 29th.  In a world that's dominated by technology, code and computerised systems very few of us recognise the importance of how the mechanics of the world have become digitised in the last two  decades. A recent study showed that 52% of parents felt that coding should be part of the teaching syllabus in their child's school, the other 48% simply couldn’t recognise the benefit a familiarity with code could have on their child's development. In the break of the millennium everyone believed that learning a foreign language would give you an overall advantage in the modern world, today national languages have been broken down with the rise of the internet and replaced with code as the language of the digital age. Though there are a variety of computer languages, the languages themselves are internationally utilised. How times have changed….

Computers are not clever things, however they are very obedient and more accurate than humans. They will do exactly what you want them to do, so long as you tell them how to do it correctly. In this way computers are slowly replacing people and while a software engineer could easily be found loitering the halls of Google, they are frequently found in offices in hospitals and manufacturing plants. A failure to incorporate code into a teaching curriculum will severely disadvantage a child of today’s opportunities tomorrow. As the world becomes more digital and connected, there is a greater demand for individuals with the knowledge of how systems that influence the modern world operate. 

Learning code empowers you to do many things in the modern world; hand crafting your own websites, becoming a career coder or even starting your own tech start-up like us. The world is moving to e-commerce. According to Forrester Research, online retail sales are projected to surpass traditional sales for at least several years, and the research firm predicted that online sales are expected to reach $370 billion in 2017. Predominantly this will come from the continued growth of smartphones and tablet usage.  Whether you hope to study business or marketing in the future, finance or banking, coding will be an essential part of professional life beyond 2020.

Of course coding has traditional linkages with science and analytics based subjects. In fields such as these, harnessing some coding capabilities can help you in your everyday life or job. One may decide to write script to perform routine tasks like sending emails, handling data or doing calculations. In this way you may think that science is about crazy experiments and pristine lab coats but in fact there is a lot more dependency on data. Managing data will be key to accurate and reliable results in science.

Linda Liukas, co founder of Rails Girls believes that coding is the literacy of the 21st century, and we agree. Our world is increasingly run by software and we need greater variety in the individuals who are laying the foundations for it’s development.

“Our children should bend, join, break and combine in ways it wasn’t designed to. It’s a whole generation of youths that will code like our generation used words”

Start your journey programming a better world today, let’s do it together with Robotify...

1 comment

Jan 23, 2017 • Posted by Dan

Great article guys! Really hits when you say computers "will do exactly what you want them to do, so long as you tell them how to do it correctly. " That is a brilliant line. Keep up the good work!

Leave a comment:

Launch Newsletter